Hearty and filling, this paleo and vegan sweet potato soup in the instant pot is perfect for a cozy family dinner. Spice it up or keep it mild – your choice!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see full Disclaimer.
Sweet Potato Soup Instant Pot
I don’t even know where to begin with this lovely Paleo and Vegan Sweet Potato Soup made perfectly in the instant pot! A warm, hearty and Instant pot FAST family dinner? Definitely!
Sweet potatoes just scream warm winter love, Now, I eat them year round so I suppose they just simply scream LOVE!
As I write this, we are just entering 2022 and so with the cold weather outside, my Instant Pot was calling out to me to make an inviting and hearty soup.
The best part? Not only is this low carb, but it is also vegan, paleo and gluten free! Now that is a quadruple bonus!
How to Make Vegan Sweet Potato Soup in the Instant Pot
On saute mode, heat the coconut oil and saute the onions for several minutes until they begin to brown.
Add the garlic, heat it briefly and then stir in the smoked paprika and salt and combine that with the onion and garlic mixture.
Add the sweet potato cubes and Veggie (for Vegan) or Chicken stock to the pot and stir everything.
Close the sealing valve and cook on soup mode for 9 minutes.
Do a quick release and then stir in the coconut cream.
Use an immersion blender to blend the soup.
If you like some texture you don’t have to puree it all.
(Optional) garnish with toasted coconut.
Is Sweet Potato Soup Sweet?
Yes, there is a hint of sweetness. The beautiful thing about this instant pot sweet potato soup is that the smoked paprika in combination with the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes is the perfect combination of sweet and savory.
Neither is more overpowering and together they create quite the experience for your palate.
Let me tell you though, an Instant Pot is a game changer! You can saute, boil, fry, pressure cook, slow cook, and so much more!
I use immersion blenders for soups and mashed potatoes and pretty much anything that you want to be blended in a bowl. I never knew what these were and then I saw one on The Food Network long ago and my jaw dropped.
Apparently, I was simply living in a closet or something! But I use it all the time now!
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes have a surprising number of rather incredible health benefits.
According to Healthline, sweet potatoes :
- Are rich in antioxidants. These are the lovely things that fight free radicals.
- Promote gut health (the fiber and antioxidants are to thank for that)
- May help fight against certain cancers (again, thank you antioxidants)
- Support your vision and your immune system (thank you beta-carotene! Beta-carotene is also what gives them their nice orange color)
Root vegetables, in general, are often high in antioxidants which are so important to our health . Yes, they are higher in carbs so those following a low carb diet might need to pick and choose. Just make sure you DO choose!
Can Vegan Sweet Potato Soup Fit Into a Low Carb Lifestyle?
Low carb? Absolutely! This soup is only 21g per serving. While there is no official definition of low carb, it is generally considered to be under 100g of net carbs daily.
Now, this soup can even fit into a keto lifestyle. WHAT? Yes, you heard me correctly.
I am an advocate of cyclical keto and carb up days because it comes with a huge array of health benefits. So on my carb up days, I will have a soup like this! Check out some other healthy carb up meals.
Other Gluten Free Recipes You Might Like
- 5 cups sweet potatoes (cubed)
- 1/2 cup onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika (more if you’d like)
- 4 cups chicken stock (veggie stock for vegan)
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- (optional) 1/4 teaspoon cayenne if you like spicier food
- On saute mode, heat the coconut oil and saute the onions for several minutes until they begin to brown.
- Add the garlic and heat it briefly.
- Stir in the smoked paprika and salt and combine that with the onion and garlic mixture.
- Add the sweet potato cubes and stock to the pot and stir everything. Close the sealing valve and cook on soup mode for 9 minutes.
- Do a quick release and then stir in the coconut cream.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup. If you like some texture you don’t have to puree it all.
- (Optional) garnish with toasted coconut.
Amount Per Serving Calories 251Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 122mgCarbohydrates 26gNet Carbohydrates 21gFiber 5gSugar 6.5gProtein 8.5g
Nutrition Calculation is done by a third party tool and should only be used as an estimate. Always double check your nutritional information.