Are you ready for a quick and easy lunch idea? These ham and cheese wraps are crunchy, creamy and everything in between. AND they can be gluten free too!
Ham and Cheese Wrap
Lunch is always a hard one for me. I am a creature of habit when it comes to breakfast and dinners I can whip up pretty easily. But lunch? Ugh!
These ham and cheese wraps have saved me on more than one occasion. They are light and refreshing, yet oozing with cheesy goodness. They are easy to make ahead of time and package really well if they need to be brought on the road or with you to work.
My family is a split household with gluten free eating. My son and I are gluten free all the time. The rest are gluten free most of the time. On occasion I’ll allow some regular bread or regular tortillas in the house. These ham and cheese wraps are one thing where I will have a seperate station of regular tortillas for the non gluten free folks and then I will use gluten free tortillas for me and my son. Works out perfect.
Whether you are gluten free or not, this ham and cheese pinwheel recipe will satisfy anyone and everyone!
Can You Use Different Kinds of Cheese?
You definitely can. I would stick with the Pimento cheese sauce as that really adds a lot of the flavor here. But you can definitely substitute out the cheddar cheese for whatever cheese you want. I think white cheddar would be delicious as well as Colby jack. Lots of others too.
Are Ham and Cheese Wraps Gluten Free?
Traditionally, no. This is a gluten free recipe site so everything on here is gluten free. We use gluten free tortilla wraps for these.
If you have non gluten free family members that would like a regular flour tortilla, then you can make a batch of both. Just be careful with cross-contamination if that is an issue for you.
Can You Make Ham and Cheese Wraps Ahead of Time?
You sure can! These honestly taste the best when the wraps are cold and the dipping sauce is hot! Since there are wet ingredients in the wrap, it is not a good idea to make them more than 24 hours in advance, however.
But certainly within 24 hours, all you need to do is make up the wraps, put them in an airtight container in the fridge and then when you are ready to serve, simply make the sauce!
You can also make the sauce ahead of time and simply warm that up too!
How to Make Ham and Cheese Wraps
For each tortilla
Spread Pimento cheese spread on a tortilla, followed by ham, and 1-2 pieces of lettuce
Roll the tortillas lengthwise.
Place tortillas on a serving plate and store them in the fridge.
For the Sauce
In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add flour to the butter, cooking for 2-3 more minutes.
Then add salt and pepper to taste, followed by the milk. Cook and stir until creamy.Stir in mustard and mix well.
Remove sauce from heat, add cheddar cheese and Pimento cheese and stir.
Place tortillas on plates, cutting in half. Serve warm sauce on the side or drizzle over the top. Top with optional parsley.
Other Gluten Free Recipes You Might Like
For the Wraps
- 1 large package of Tortilla wraps (gluten free or regular)
- 1 tub Pimento Cheese Spread (12 ounces)
- 1 pound of sliced ham
- 1 head of Iceberg or romaine lettuce, - washed, and leaves left whole
For the Sauce
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 3 tablespoons of gluten free (or regular) flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of Honey Dijon Mustard
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1 cup of cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup of Pimento Cheese Spread (7 ounce tub)
- (optional) 1 bunch of Italian Flat Leaf Parsley - washed, dried and chopped
For each tortilla
- Spread Pimento cheese spread on tortilla, followed by ham, and 1-2 pieces of lettuce
- Roll the tortillas lengthwise.
- Place tortillas on a serving plate and store them in the fridge.
For the Sauce
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add flour to the butter, cooking for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, stirring well.
- Add milk, cook and stir until creamy.
- Stir in mustard and mix well.
- Remove sauce from heat, add cheddar cheese and Pimento cheese and stir.
- Place tortillas on plates, cutting in half. Serve warm sauce on the side or drizzle over the top. Top with optional parsley.
Amount Per Serving Calories 312Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 70mgSodium 888mgCarbohydrates 9gNet Carbohydrates 8gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 19g
Nutrition Calculation is done by a third party tool and should only be used as an estimate. Always double check your nutritional information.