This gluten free lemon cream is definitely a crowd pleaser. Perfectly crunchy crust with a creamy lemon middle, and topped with fluffy homemade whipped cream.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see full Disclaimer.
Gluten Free Lemon Cream Pie
It normally takes me a few tries to really nail a recipe. And I wanted this gluten-free lemon cream pie to be perfect.
To get all the flavors in perfect alignment.
To get consistencies right.
You know what, though? I nailed it on the first try because I knew exactly HOW I wanted to make it and was intentional in the design.
I know, I know, weird recipe techy talk, but you get what I’m saying, right?
The pie crust was specifically designed this pie. Now, that gluten-free pie crust is going to shine on its own, but it was meant for THIS recipe. Like 2 peas in a pod.
So let’s just jump right in and start talking about what you need to make this delicious gluten-free pie.
Lemon Cream Pie Kitchen Essentials
Ceramic Pie Dish – well, I mean, you can’t make a pie without a pie dish.
Frying Pan – In order to make the lemon cream layer, you’ll need a frying pan. It is best to use a wide frying pan so the surface area that touches heat is greater.
Hand Beaters – Unless you want to do this really old school, you really are going to need some hand beaters in order to make the whipped cream!
Mixing Bowls – We all need mixing bowls, right? Perhaps you have some laying around or perhaps you’d like some new ones!
Can I Use a Different Pie Crust?
You bet you can! You can use any crust you want. BUT, I highly suggest this gluten-free pie crust because it goes perfectly with this light and fluffy gluten-free lemon cream pie.
It is flaky, yet soft. Crispy, yet melts in your mouth.
How To Store Lemon Cream Pie
You will want to cover the unused portions of this pie to minimize exposure to air. Keeping this pie cold is a must as well.
Try not to let it rise to room temperature for long periods of time.
How Long Will This Tasty Lemon Pie Last?
If stored properly, this lemon pie will stay fresh for 3-4 days. I’ve eaten it past this, but 3-4 days is generally safe.
Give that the whipped cream is homemade, it does not stay perfectly solid like processed whipped cream does. It will normally start to thin out around 3 days.
How To Make Gluten Free Lemon Cream Pie
You first need to bake your gluten-free pie crust. I recommend using this gluten-free pie crust. It is the perfect consistency and flavor profile to match this lemon cream pie.
You can follow the instructions here. Set aside baked pie crust once done.
In a large saucepan, heat heavy whipping cream over medium heat. You want it hot, not boiling. Meanwhile, you can mix together the dry ingredients in a small bowl
Add dry mixture to heavy whipping cream and mix well. Given that we added in some xanthan gum, you’ll want to keep stirring so no big clumps form.
Stir well for about 3-4 minutes or until it thickens.
Add egg yolks to a small bowl.
You definitely want to temper the eggs because the last thing you want is chunks of cooked eggs in your lemon cream pie!
The best way to temper them is to beat the yolks, add a small amount of hot mixture to the egg bowl and quickly whisk. Then add the egg mixture to the hot mixture and, again, quickly whisk.
Continue stirring for an additional 2-4 minutes until thick. As soon as you can scrape the spatula across the pan and it leaves and empty trail, it is done!
Remove from heat and add lemon extract. Mix well.
Add the delicious lemon cream to pie pan and cover with saran wrap. Make sure saran wrap is touching the surface of the filling to keep a firm film from forming!
Refrigerate for at least 60 minutes for it to set.
When ready, prepare the whipped cream.
Add whipping cream to a medium bowl, along with sweetener and vanilla. Beat with hand beaters until soft peaks form.
Remove saran wrap from pie and add whipped cream.
Top with optional lemon zest.
Lemon Cream Filling
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup granular sweetener (I use Lakanto monkfruit)
- 2 tablespoons gluten free baking flour (I use Bob's Redmill 1 to 1)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (taste it after you put it in and determine if you want more)
- Bake gluten free pie crust according to instructions and set aside
- In a large saucepan, heat heavy whipping cream over medium heat. You want it hot, not boiling.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, sweetener, salt and xanthan gum.
- Add flour mixture to heavy whipping cream and mix well.
- Given that we added in some xanthan gum, you'll want to keep stirring so no big clumps form.
- Stir well for about 3-4 minutes or until it thickens.
- Add egg yolks to a small bowl.
- Temper eggs (add a small amount of hot mixture to eggs and mix quickly, then pour the egg mixture into the hot pan).
- Continue stirring for an additional 2-4 minutes until thick. As soon as you can scrape the spatula across the pan and it leaves and empty trail, it is done!
- Remove from heat and add lemon extract. Mix well.
- Add to pie pan and cover with saran wrap. Make sure saran wrap is touching the surface of the filling to keep a firm film from forming!
- Refrigerate for at least 60 minutes for it to set.
- When ready, prepare the whipped cream.
- Add whipping cream to a medium bowl, along with sweetener and vanilla. Beat with hand beaters until soft peaks form.
- Remove saran wrap from pie and add whipped cream.
- Top with optional lemon zest.
- Keep cold!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Calphalon 1937374 Classic Omelette Fry Pan, 10-in, Grey/White
- Cuisinart HM-50 Power Advantage 5-Speed Hand Mixer, White
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
- Kate Naturals Xanthan Gum. 100% Natural. Perfect For Gluten-Free Baking, Cooking & Thickening Sauces, Gravies & Shakes. Non-GMO. Large Resealable Bag. 1-Year Guarantee. (8 oz (Starter Size))
- Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener, 1:1 Sugar Substitute, Keto, Non-GMO (Classic White - 3 lbs)
- Anthony's Organic Coconut Sugar, 5lb, Gluten Free, Non GMO, Vegan, Natural Sweetener