Naturally sweetened with honey, this moist and fluffy gluten free cornbread is the perfect addition to any meal or holiday feast.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see full Disclaimer.
Gluten Free Cornbread
I don’t know what it is about corn that I literally just swoon over. I will preface this with the fact that I RARELY eat corn, even though I love it.
The main reason is that I personally gravitate towards a low carb lifestyle and that mostly precludes corn.
I grew up in the midwest and there was literally nothing better than eating freshly picked corn on the cobb, dripping with butter. I have ALWAYS loved corn.
And then, enter – cornbread. If I could eat this every day, I would. And if YOU can, then have at it!
If I’m going to eat corn, then I do it all in one sitting. I made this along with a ham and corn chowder (recipe coming soon) and together they were pretty out of this world. Most of my family dipped their cornbread in the soup. I didn’t. I lathered it in melting butter and savored every last corn filled bite!
Is Cornbread Gluten Free?
Not always! BUT this recipe for gluten free cornbread is most certainly gluten free! I mean, it says so in the name, right?
But in all seriousness, many cornbread recipes are gluten free and just as many are not. Even with gluten free recipes, you should always check your specific ingredients to verify you are using fully gluten free products.
Should I Use Cornmeal or Masa Harina?
That is up to you!
If you want this to be a bit more authentic, then you can use the masa harina. The flavor will be a little more true. It does come at a cost though. In some parts (where I live is one of them), masa harina is incredibly hard to come by and amazon was little help.
Now, if you want to go with some more readily available products, you can choose to go the medium cornmeal route. Honestly, this is what I choose now.
Both ways of making this delicious cornbread will satisfy you, I CAN tell you that. Decide what your budget is and if you have access to more exotic ingredients and go from there!
How To Make Gluten Free Cornbread
Preheat your oven to 450°F.
In a large bowl whisk together the cornmeal, gluten free flour, baking powder, and salt.
Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the mixture. Using your hands, mix it will. Squish it between your fingers, don’t be shy! You can use a fork, but using your hands is so much better.
In a smaller bowl whisk together the eggs, honey, and coconut milk.
Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Do not over mix. The batter should be slightly lumpy.
Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of the butter and coat a 9″ cast iron skillet.
Add cornbread mixture to the skillet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are browned.
You can check doneness by inserting a toothpick. If it comes out clean – it is done.
Other Gluten Free Recipes From The Gluten Free Option
- 1 cup medium cornmeal*
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free all purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons salted butter divided
- 1.5 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- * You can replace the cornmeal and flour with 1 1/2 cups masa harina and 1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour if you want a little more traditional dish. Masa Harina is a bit harder to find though.
- Preheat your oven to 450°F.
- In a large bowl whisk together the cornmeal, gluten free flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the mixture. Using your hands, mix it will. Squish it between your fingers, don't be shy! You can use a fork, but using your hands is so much better.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together the eggs, honey, and coconut milk.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Do not over mix. The batter should be slightly lumpy.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of the butter and coat a 9" cast iron skillet
- Add cornbread mixture to the skillet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are browned. You can check doneness by inserting a toothpick. If it comes out clean - it is done.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 146 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 228mg Carbohydrates: 16g Net Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g