This gluten free broccoli casserole is easy to put together and goes with just about any dinner. A great dish to pass at a party too!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see full Disclaimer.
Gluten Free Broccoli Casserole
I was making a delicious Instant Pot Corned Beef recipe last night and I wanted a delicious side dish to go with it. Not anything fancy, but something simple with an upgraded flavor – if that makes sense! I decided on a delicious gluten-free broccoli casserole dish. One that I haven’t made before!
I really wanted to use sour cream and mascarpone cheese together and see what the result was. Both have such a pleasant and unique flavor that I wondered how well they would go together.
I just knew that a casserole was the right place to try.
At the last moment, I decided to sprinkle lemon pepper seasoning on the top and I AM GLAD I DID! It added this tang to an already tangy dish and WOW!
Health Benefits of Broccoli
Broccoli is something we have in our house a ton! I love it and my kids love it. BONUS!
In addition to tasting fabulous, broccoli has the following health benefits, according to HealthLine:
- High in vitamins and minerals
- Also high in fiber which helps with constipation and blood sugar control
- A good source of antioxidants (yes please).
- Has anti-inflammatory properties
- Might protect against cancer.
I mean, that is enough right? I’ll take it!
Can a Broccoli Casserole be Frozen?
It sure can. Now, HOW you freeze it might matter. The more air you can get out, the better. I have not tried to freeze this particular recipe, but I have frozen similar ones.
I think it freezes best if you freeze if BEFORE cooking it. Prepare it as though you were going to bake it, but instead of baking it, prepare it to be frozen and freeze it.
When you pull it out, give it some time to thaw before baking.
How to Store Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
This gluten-free broccoli casserole dish will stay fresh the longest if stored in an airtight container and in the fridge.
If you’ve eaten half the casserole and want to store the remaining half, put it into a smaller container first and that will minimize air contact.
What is a Good Substitute for Mascarpone Cheese?
If you’ve never had it, mascarpone cheese is wonderful. It is full flavored and quite tasty. BUT, it can be quite spendy and so I don’t use it often.
If you want to get fancy, you can follow this Mascarpone cheese substitute recipe.
But if you are looking for a simple substitute specific for this recipe, I would simply substitute with 1/4 cup cream cheese and add 1 more tablespoon of heavy whipping cream.
That should get you close.
How to Make Gluten Free Broccoli Casserole
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
You will want to lightly steam the broccoli. They won’t cook fully in the oven, but we don’t want to fully cook them ahead of time either. You just want to steam them long enough for them to start to soften and get that bright green color! Set them aside once lightly steamed.
In a small saucepan, add butter and minced garlic over medium heat. Warm for a minute and then add cauliflower rice. Saute it for 1 additional minute. Just enough to soften it slightly and infuse some garlic flavor. Set aside as well.
in a large bowl, add 1 cup white cheddar cheese, sour cream, mascarpone cheese, heavy whipping cream, garlic powder and garlic salt. Make sure the mascarpone cheese is softened so that mixing it will be easier. Mix well.
Add broccoli and cauliflower and continue mixing until the veggies are nicely coated.
Add broccoli mixture to a casserole dish and then lightly pepper the top.
Add remaining cup of white cheddar cheese, four cheese blend and lemon pepper to the top.
Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Remove cover and bake for 5 additional minutes.
- 2 pounds broccoli, lightly steamed
- 1 cup cauliflower rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (or 3 garlic cloves, minced)
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup 4 cheese blend, shredded
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly steam broccoli and set aside. Just enough to where it gets bright green.
- In a small saucepan, add butter and minced garlic over medium heat. After 1 minute, add cauliflower rice for 1 additional minute. Just enough to soften it slightly and infuse some garlic flavor. Set aside.
- in a large bowl, add 1 cup white cheddar cheese, sour cream, mascarpone cheese, heavy whipping cream, garlic powder and garlic salt. Mix well.
- Add broccoli and cauliflower and continue mixing until well coated.
- Add mixture to a casserole dish.
- Lightly pepper the top.
- Add remaining cup of white cheddar cheese, four cheese blend and lemon pepper to the top.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Remove cover and bake for 5 additional minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 238 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 61mg Sodium: 231mg Carbohydrates: 4g Net Carbohydrates: 2.5g Fiber: 1.5g Sugar: 1.5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 10.5g