These soft, moist, and oh so delicious gluten free gingerbread whoopie pies will quickly become a family favorite! Easy to make too!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see full Disclaimer.
I happen to LOVE all things gingerbread! There are so many variations with different spices and mixtures of ingredients.
When I was a little kid, I used to eat these soft, oatmeal sandwich cookie things that had a cream center. You remember those, right?
That was the vision I had in my head with these, only I wanted them with Fall flavors and I wanted the center to be a creamy cream cheese filling.
My entire family loved these, even my dogs. I had a few sitting on the counter and I walked away JUST FOR A MOMENT and came back to a dog licking his lips and wagging his tail. Sigh….
What is Blackstrap Molasses?
I LOVE using blackstrap molasses. I usually eat low carb, so molasses isn’t something I use often. But when I do use it, I savor EVERY LAST DROP.
The process to make molasses is actually pretty simple. Basically cane sugar is boiled 3 times. The first boil creates cane syrup. The second boil creates molasses. And the third boil creates blackstrap molasses which is what I use.
How is molasses different from blackstrap molasses?
First and foremost, blackstrap molasses has less sugar content than regular molasses which is the main reason I like it.
Blackstrap molasses is also darker and heavier than regular molasses and is not as sweet tasting. Perhaps even more bitter.
How to Store Gluten Free Whoopie Pies
The best way to store these delicious cookie pies is in an airtight container in the fridge. They last up to about 3 days. Probably longer even, but that is the safe timeframe. They were gone by the 4 day mark in my house!
It was hard to keep them around.
You don’t need anything fancy to make whoopie pies.
I found that it was helpful to have a cookie dough scooper because the dough is relatively soft and sticky. It is certainly not necessary though.
And, of course, a baking sheet and parchment paper will definitely help!
How To Make Gluten Free Gingerbread Whoopie Pies
First, you will want to preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, or just one if you have a large baking sheet!
In a large bowl, mix together the coconut flour, monkfruit, collagen, baking powder, Allspice, and salt. Mix well.
I like to use Perfect Keto’s Vanilla Collagen Powder due to the low carb count, but you can use whatever you have! Code RUNNINGKETO will get you 20% if you want to try it out.
In a separate bowl, cream butter and cream cheese with hand beater. 30-60 seconds.
Next, let’s combine everything! Add cheese mixture, eggs, heavy whipping cream, and molasses to coconut flour mixture.
Continue beating with the hand beater until it is well blended.
Chill the dough for 30 minutes.
Using a scooper, make 1 1/2 -2 balls and place them on the baking sheet. You do want to leave some room as they will spread out.
Bake for 15-17 minutes.
Set aside and let cool.
Cream Cheese Filling
Add cream cheese, butter, sweetener and vanilla to a medium bowl and beat with clean hand beaters.
Once cooled, add to the middle of 2 gingerbread cakes (the flat part) and make a sandwich!
Other Recipes From The Gluten Free Option
- 1 ½ cups coconut flour
- ½ cup sweetener (I use low carb Lakanto monkfruit)
- 1 scoop vanilla collagen powder (I use Perfect Keto due to lower carb content)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix coconut flour, monkfruit, collagen, baking powder, Allspice, and salt. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and cream cheese with hand beater. 30-60 seconds.
- Add cheese mixture, eggs, heavy whipping cream, and molasses to coconut flour mixture.
- Continue beating with hand beater until well blended.
- Chill dough for 30 minutes.
- Using a scooper, scoop out 1 1/2 -2 inch "balls" and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes.
- Set aside and let cool.
Cream Cheese Filling
- Add cream cheese, butter, sweetener and vanilla to a medium bowl and beat with clean hand beaters.
- Once cooled, add to the middle of 2 gingerbread cakes (the flat part) and make a sandwich!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 98mg Sodium: 270mg Carbohydrates: 15g Net Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 9g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 6g